Joe

Cannot open a filename exceeding 260 characters
« on: January 06, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »
Hello One Commander,

First of all, thank you very much for this intuitive, innovative, user-friendly, and robust software. It's making my life a ton easier rather than using Windows 10 explorer.

I currently installed One Commander yesterday and I am having some difficulties with long filenames. This particularly happens when the file's name exceeds Explorer's 260 character limitation forcing me to either shorten the filename or move it to another location. To better illustrate, let me use an example:

The filename I am modifying: instructions
Where is the filename located in Explorer: c:\users\joe\desktop\health\software\guides\listofmodules\instructions

Note: I truncated the names for these folders located in the path above for easability and confidentiality purposes.

If I try changing listofmodules to list of modules, Explorer will prevent the action from occurring. The reason is because with the extra spaces in between those words, that folder name will exceed the 260 character limitation. Hence, I am forced to name the folder listofmodules without the spaces.

Now, when I try renaming that folder to "list of modules" using One Commander, since it supports longer filenames, if I try double clicking the file contained in that folder (i.e. instructions) I get a dead response. A "File Opened" message pops up on the top of One Commander, but the pdf file simply doesn't open on my computer.

When I try clicking this very same instructions file via Windows Explorer, I also get a dead response. Any files located outside of the listofmodules folder open up just fine.

It seems the problem is prevalent only when I try expanding a folder's or file's name WITHIN ONE COMMANDER that exceeds Explorer's 260 character limitation.

Any thoughts?

Also, if I continue to use One Commander will I also run into similar problems when I save all my files and folders contained in the above file path onto a flash drive? For example, if I expand a filename or folder name within One Commander and then save that same file or folder onto a flashdrive, will I run into errors when I try to access that same file or folder via the flashdrive?

Any help would be immensely appreciated!

Joe

admin

• Download at http://onecommander.com
    • onecommander.com
Re: Cannot open a filename exceeding 260 characters
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 08:36:30 PM »
Hi Joe,

Even though the OC supports long paths, the program in which you are trying to open or save the file might not support it. It depends on the API the end program uses, and some don't support long paths. When OC shows notification that the file was opened, it has started the system process to open it, and then the rest is up to Windows and the associtated program to open the file.